Best HDD for Gaming Review
For gamers all over, having a gaming rig that allows them to play any game they want without having to worry about FPS and loading speeds is a must.
Your computer’s RAM and the video card have something to do with this, however, there is another piece of computer hardware that also contributes to loading speed and FPS.
What hardware is this, you ask?
This is your hard drive, otherwise known as HDD.
If you want your games to load fast and for you to not have problems with storage space, a good hard drive is also a must.
To help you find the best hard drive around for your gaming needs, here is a list of some of the best HDD for gaming in 2020.
Table Of Content
Top 10 Best HDD for Gaming to Buy
1. Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD
If there is one hard drive brand that a lot of people trust in no matter what their needs are, it’s Seagate. This particular variant is a solid state hybrid drive (SSHD). This means it’s a combination of two things – a solid state drive and a hard disk drive. This type of drive is considered the best of both worlds since it has the speed of a solid state drive and the storage capacity of a traditional hard drive. This drive comes in two options – 1 terabyte (1TB) and 2 terabyte (2TB).
Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD drive is considered ideal for those who are putting together gaming systems. It’s also idea for other uses like power computing and video editing. It has 5-times the speed of your usual hard drive and the more space than a standard solid state drive. This basically means you get the best of both worlds with this choice. To check out the price of this item, click here.
- Brand – Seagate
- Series – ST2000DX002
- Model Number – ST2000DX002
- Hardware Platform – Workstation or PC
- OS – PC
- Weight – 544 g
- Measurements – L x W x H – 14.7 x 10.2 x 2.6 cm
- Color – Silver
Hard Drive Rotational Speed – 7200 RPM
– Good overall performance.
– Storage space is impressive.
– Compact product that offers great portability.
– Performance might not be consistent.
Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD Features
- Store games and play them faster with an internal SSHD drive delivering SSD performance and HDD capacities
- Perfect for PC gaming, this hybrid hard drive helps load maps and boot levels faster with flash enhanced speeds
- Choose from a variety of capacities for an optimized rig
- Low power consumption means a more cost effective setup
- Get long-term peace of mind with the included five-year limited warranty
2. Samsung 970 Evo
When it comes to electronics, one brand that usually manufactures quality items is Samsung. This is why it’s no wonder that one of their drives made it to this list. The Samsung 970 Evo is a solid state drive that comes in 4 capacities – from 250GB to 2TB. This internal hard drive is considered one of the best budget-friendly drives around and is one that uses an M.2 slot instead of a SATA port.
This particular SDD is pretty fast for its price, with a 3,500 Mbps reading speed and a 2,500 Mbps writing speed. If you need a drive for high definition graphic editing, 4k videos, and optimal gaming experience, this one is for you. Click here to check the price.
- Brand – Samsung
- Series – 970 EVO
- Model Number – MZ-V7E500BW
- Hardware Interface – PCI Express
- Hardware Platform – PC
- OS – Windows 10 Built 10240
- Measurements – L x W x H – 3.15 x 0.9 x 0.87 in
- Color – Black/Red
- Weight – 1.92 ounces
- Data Transfer Rate – 3,500 MB/s
– Comes with an innovative V-NAND technology.
– It’s sleek and ultra-slim.
– You get seamless file transfers and cloning.
– Software performance might not be satisfactory.
Samsung 970 Evo Features
- INNOVATIVE V NAND TECHNOLOGY: Powered by Samsung V NAND Technology, the 970 EVO SSD’s NVMe interface (PCIe M.2 2280) offers enhanced bandwidth, low latency, and power efficiency ideal for tech enthusiasts, high end gamers, and 4K & 3D content designers
- BREAKTHROUGH READ WRITE SPEEDS: Sequential read and write performance levels of up to 3,500MB/s and 2,500MB/s, respectively; Random Read (4KB, QD32): Up to 500,000 IOPS Random Read
- PERFORMANCE OPTIMIZATION AND DATA SECURITY: Seamless cloning and file transfers with Samsung Magician Software, the ideal SSD management solution for performance optimization and data security with automatic firmware updates
- SUPERIOR HEAT DISSIPATION: Samsung’s Dynamic Thermal Guard automatically monitors and maintains optimal operating temperatures to minimize performance drops. Secure Encryption
- 5-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: 5-year limited warranty or 600 TBW (Terabytes Written)
3. Seagate BarraCuda HDD
Another quality product from Seagate is this hard drive named after one of the fiercest creatures in the ocean. The Seagate BarraCuda HDD is a drive that comes in HDD and SDD options. The HDD variant comes with many capacity choices that range from 250 GB to a massive 14 TB.
Whichever you choose, HDD or SDD, you can be sure that you will get quality computing power from this drive. While considered a great choice for computing, it’s also seen as a good choice for gaming. This is because the HDD has a 7,200 RPM HD rotational speed and amazing 560MB/s and 550MB/s read/write speed for the SDD. Whether you choose to go with one or the other, you can rest assured that you get a quality drive from this brand. Click here to view prices for both variants.
- Brand – Seagate
- Series – ST2000DM006 HDD/
- Model Number – ST1000DMZ10/DM010 HDD/ZA1000CM1A003 SDD
- Hardware Platform – Gaming PC, Laptop, Servers, Desktop
- OS – PC
- Weight – 14.7 ounces HDD/1.76 ounces SDD
- Measurements – L x W x H – 5.79 x 4 x 0.79 in HDD/3.95 x 2.76 x 0.28 inches SDD
- Color – Silver HDD/ Black SDD
- Hard Drive Rotational Speed – 7200 RPM HDD
– You get a 2-year limited warranty.
– This helps you upgrade your computer performance well within your budget.
– Impressive capacity.
– It might be a little slow and noisy.
Seagate BarraCuda HDD Features
- Store more, compute faster, and do it confidently with the proven reliability of BarraCuda internal hard drives
- Build a powerhouse gaming computer or desktop setup with a variety of capacities and form factors
- The go to SATA hard drive solution for nearly every PC application from music to video to photo editing to PC gaming
- Confidently rely on internal hard drive technology backed by 20 years of innovation
- Enjoy long term peace of mind with the included two year limited warranty
4. Samsung 860 Pro
Another quality hard drive from this Korean brand is the 860 Pro, which comes in options that range from 256 GB to 4 TB. This SDD is another one you can consider for your gaming needs, although it is ideal for other uses as well. It is chosen not only by gamers but also by those who watch 4k videos and edit graphics as well as images.
Samsung 860 Pro SDD comes with fast read and write speeds, with up to 560MB/s and 530MB/s guaranteed. It uses the V-NAND technology of Samsung and is considered a great choice for creatives, IT professionals, and gamers. This internal SDD can be used with both PC and Mac platforms. To find out how much this costs, click here.
- Brand – Samsung
- Series – 860 Pro
- Model Number – MZ-76P1T0BW
- Hardware Interface – ATA-4
- Hardware Platform – PC, Mac
- OS – Windows, Linux, MAC OSX
- Measurements – L x W x H – 3.94 x 2.76 x 0.28 inches
- Color – Black/Red
Weight – 2.08 ounces
– It comes with a strong algorithmic based controller.
– Sustained speeds with great consistency.
– Enhanced Linux compatibility.
– Confusing warranty terms.
Samsung 860 Pro Features
- Compatible Devices: This Drive Is Compatible With Servers And Arrays That Accept 2.5" 7Mm Sata Drives
5. SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND
Another brand that you can consider when thinking of buying a drive for your gaming needs is SanDisk. Most people consider this a great choice when they need an external drive for additional storage space, but it is also a brand that has exceptional internal drives as well. The SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND is an internal SDD that comes with choices that include 250 GB, 500 GB, 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB.
This SDD is reputed to come with blazing fast speeds that gamers are sure to love. It is also an SDD that video enthusiasts and graphic artists will adore. It comes with a 560 MB/s maximum read speed and a 530 MB/s maximum write speed. Find out how much this drive will cost you by clicking here.
- Brand – SanDisk
- Series – Ultra
- Model Number – SDSSDH3-500G-G25
- Hardware Interface – SATA 6.0 Gb/s
- Hardware Platform – PC, Laptop
- OS – Windows
- Measurements – L x W x H – 3.96 x 2.75 x 0.28 inches
- Color – Black/Red
Weight – 1.92 ounces
– Offers power economy and high endurance.
– You get a 5-year manufacturer warranty.
– NCache 2.0 Technology ensures better burst speeds.
– Warranty claims could take longer to settle.
SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND Features
- Accelerate your PC for faster boot-up and blazing-fast gaming and graphics
- Ultra-fast: sequential read speeds of up to 560MB/s; sequential write speeds of up to 530MB/s (Based on internal testing; performance may vary depending upon drive capacity, host device, OS and application. 1 megabyte (MB) = 1,000,000 bytes.)
- 3D NAND provides greater endurance so your drive lasts longer and uses less power
- nCache 2.0 technology delivers blazing-fast speeds
- Limited 5-year manufacturer warranty or 400TBW, whichever is sooner [US 1TB] (See official SanDisk website for more details regarding warranty in your region.)
6. Seagate STEA4000402 Game Drive 4TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD- Best If You Want A Lag-Free Gaming Experience-
This Seagate gaming drive is designed perfectly for Xbox consoles and offers you a large storage capacity of 4 TB.
Seagate STEA4000402 Game Drive allows for a seamless gaming experience without lags and can easily be carried along when you travel because of its immense portability.
The configuration is simple with an easy step- by- step setup process which doesn’t require any installation of software.
With a USB 3.0 provision, it offers faster transfer speeds of data, and you get a user experience like never before.
The catchy classic design in green with Xbox logo makes it a perfect accessory for all gaming enthusiasts.
This compact device comes with a limited 1-year warranty that provides you with the much-needed peace of mind.
– Very easy to set up and use.
– Quality design; and the product demands less maintenance.
– Quiet operations.
– Didn’t find any
Seagate STEA4000402 Game Drive Features
- Don't delete games from Xbox consoles just to make room for new ones store 100 plus titles with 4TB of portable external hard drive storage
- Experience no lag gaming with a portable hard drive optimized specifically for the Xbox
- Dive into the action with a quick step by step setup and plug and play USB 3.0 connectivity no power cable needed
- Featuring the classic green design of the original Xbox logo, this gaming hard drive is the perfect accessory for any setup and its compact, travel ready form factor means the adventure can go anywhere
- Enjoy long term peace of mind with the included 1 year limited warranty
7. Toshiba (HDWE140XZSTA) X300 4TB Performance Desktop and Gaming Hard Drive- Best Internal Drive for Gamers And Professionals.
This Toshiba (HDWE140XZSTA) X300 4TB has been exclusively designed for gamers and creative professionals working in the field of video editing, graphic designing and photography.
The device readily impresses you with its high performance and massive storage space which you can use for storing large files without having to be worried about running short of space.
7200 RPM and large cache size help you run large multimedia files and gaming applications without lags or unresponsiveness.
The ramp-loading technology and internal shock sensor in the device guarantee its safety and also of the data inside.
What else? With a 2-year limited warranty, it ensures you can have a worry-free purchase.
– Fast and efficient.
– Ideal for high-end tasks.
– It’s a value for money product.
– The device operates with annoying noise.
Toshiba (HDWE140XZSTA) X300 4TB Features
- Designed for gaming PC and high end desktop workstations
- High performance with 7200 RPM and large cache size
- Massive capacity to accommodate large gaming libraries; Voltage 5VDC (±5 percent) / 12VDC (±5 percent)
- Toshiba's cache technology to deliver high level performance in real time. Average latency: 4.17 ms
- Ramp, loading and drive stabilization technologies for reliability. Shock (operating): 70G/2 ms duration
8. WD Black 5TB P10 Game Drive Portable Hard Drive Compatible with PS4 Xbox One PC and Mac
This product serves as a quality portable storage device for you with its impressive 5 Tb of storage capacity.
The best part is- it is available for purchase at a reasonable price.
WD Black 5TB P10 Game Drive Portable Hard Drive is specifically built for gaming applications and is compatible with both PCs and consoles like PS4, MAC and Xbox one.
The large storage space and high speed that this drive offers enhance the performance of your PC/console, allowing you to play without inhibitions.
You also won’t have to compromise on your favorite collections.
The product is shockproof and durable, meaning you can carry your favorite set of games with you wherever you go.
With immense dependability, an optimal boost in speed and expansion, this HDD promises you pleasant gaming experience.
– Appealing design in a metal casing.
– Low vibration and no overheating issues.
– Seamless and speedy data transfer.
– Shorter cable length.
WD Black 5TB P10 Game Drive Portable Hard Drive Features
- Up to 5TB that can hold up to 125 games, so that you can save old favorites and still have room for new titles. Number of games based on a 36GB average per game. The number of games will vary based on file size, formatting, other programs, and factors.
- Portable and durable form factor that provides fast access to your gaming library, anywhere you go.
- High-performance HDD to optimize your console or PC gaming experience and drive your game.
- Purpose-built for gamers based on WD Black quality and reliability so you can play without limits.
9. Novus 6TB External USB-C Rugged Gaming Hard Drive for Xbox One/x/S- Best For Heavy Gaming-
Novus 6TB External USB-C Rugged Gaming Hard Drive from Novus is designed to cater to the requirements of the most demanding gamers.
With a USB-C feature, it provides you with blazing fast performance.
It features a properly vented aluminum body wrapped in a silicon rubber envelope, meant for utmost protection, durability and quiet cooling.
It offers a plug and play functionality and is compatible with all Xbox versions- One/X/S.
The large storage space enables you to store plenty of games and other content, while also allowing you to play directly from the device.
It offers excellent portability making it easy for you to carry the device along with you whenever you travel.
This product is assembled in the USA and comes with an impressive 3 -year warranty.
– It’s a value for money product.
– Reliable operations.
– Comes in a shockproof design.
– Relatively expensive.
Novus 6TB External USB-C Rugged Gaming Hard Drive Features
- Plug and play with the Xbox One/S/X - store hundreds of games!
- Featuring USB-C (USB 3.1, 10Gbps) for the fastest performance
- Silicon sleeve for anti-slip & durability
- Vented aluminum for quiet cooling
- Backed by a 3 year warranty
10. AvolusionHDDGear 8TB USB 3.0 External PS4 Gaming Hard Drive (PS4 Pre-Formatted) – Best If You Prefer Products With Warranty-
AvolusionHDDGear 8TB USB 3.0 External PS4 Gaming Hard Drive offers a huge storage capacity of 8TB to store or back up your data.
It can be your go-to HDD device if you are a PlayStation fan as it is compatible with PS4, PS4 Pro Slim as well as PS4 Slim.
This 7200 RPM device with 64 mb cache makes transferring data faster and easier.
Now that no PS formatting is required for data transfer.
It’s the perfect hard drive upgrade kit for your gaming console as it expands its storage almost instantly.
Other features like built-in advanced external interface technology, industrial design, durable chassis only add to the worth of the product.
What more? It comes with a 2-year warranty for your peace of mind.
– You get a plug and play functionality.
– As it comes in a fan-less design, it doesn’t create noise when it operates.
– Its high-quality construction makes it durable.
– The USB plugs into the front of the gaming console, which takes away its clean look.
AvolusionHDDGear 8TB USB 3.0 External PS4 Gaming Hard Drive Features
- Built-in 8TB Capacity Hard Drive, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache
- Compatible with PlayStation 4, PS4 Slim, PS4 Slim Pro
- PS4 File System Pre-Formatted, Expand PS4 hard drive storage instantly!
- Add extra storage to your PS4 game console without opening up the case
- 2 Years Warranty from Reseller
Best HDD for Gaming
Before you purchase a hard drive however, there are some things you need to consider. Whether you need one for your old rig or are buying one to create a new gaming setup, there are some things to keep in mind before purchasing anything. Here are some of those considerations:
Choosing between HDD and SDD
If you’re stuck deciding between these two, let’s put this into a simpler perspective – HDDs have more storage capacity and SDDs have faster speeds. If speed is what you’re looking for, then an SDD is what you want. If you’re looking for a drive with lots of space, then an HDD is what you should get. If you want the best of both worlds however, a hybrid like the FireCuda from Seagate is what you might want to buy.
You should also be aware that one costs more than the other. SDDs are more expensive than HDDs because they’re more compact, don’t have any moving parts, and are silent. They are also considered more durable and more energy efficient. The choice will always come down to these factors – price and purpose.
Performance and Specifications
These are two of the more important factors that you need to keep in mind when selecting a drive for your gaming rig. Performance pertains to how well the drive does its work and specifications are the details of the drive. Both come hand in hand since the specifications usually dictate how the drive performs.
For a good drive, here are some things to look out for when checking out the specs:
- Storage capacity – Most drives nowadays come with storage capacity options that range from 250 GB to 14 TB, depending on the brand. The most you can get when you purchase your HDD is 16TB. SSDs come with lower max capacity, with the highest being 5TB.
- RPMs – Also known as transfer speeds (although RPMs means revolutions per minute), how fast your drives can transfer data is another key factor in making your choice. The higher the RPM on a drive, the faster it is, and fast is what you need. So, if you want your drive to be fast, always aim for those that have higher RPM numbers.
- Cache size – This is a little known factor that most people tend to miss when choosing a drive. A cache, which is also called a buffer, is an embedded memory that holds information which is set for transfer from one area of your drive to the other. This allows for faster processing. If your drive has a larger cache, then it can move data faster. Cache sizes can range from a low of 8 MB to a high of 256 MB.
Price and Cost
This is a factor that is also important for you to consider. Even if you have an unlimited budget for your gaming rig assembly plans, it’s always a good idea to see if you’re getting the best bang for your buck. To ensure that you are getting your money’s worth, there is an equation for you to remember when choosing a drive – drive price / storage capacity. When you divide the price of your drive by its storage capacity, you get the average cost of each GB of memory that your drive has.
Make sure that you get a drive that gives you lots of memory at a good price. Some brands actually decrease the price per GB for higher memory options. There are some however that raise the price per GB of their drives the higher the memory gets. This is why you have to use this equation to ensure that you get a drive that has a fair price.
While we are talking about drives that you will use when you are assembling a gaming PC, there are a few other considerations to be made when buying drives for other purposes. There are, after all, drives that can be used on other gaming choices like consoles and for external needs.
If you’re buying a drive for a console, first consideration is compatibility. For example, if you’re trying to upgrade the drive of your Xbox, you need to buy drives that are made by Microsoft. This is also dependent on what model Xbox you have. For your PC, any drive will work as long as you have the right connections for it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is it good to use HDD for gaming?
A. Hard disk drives are a good choice for gaming purposes.
Go for the Best HDD for Gaming available within your budget so that it offers you enough storage capacity for storing your games.
Note that most present-day games are heavy and consume around 20GB to 100GB for a single installation.
So, a good HDD will not just be fast but will also support graphics.
With such a device, your gaming experience will simply enhance hundredfold.
Q2. Which is better for gaming- SSD or HDD?
A. HDDs have longer life spans.
Not just that, they are also a highly cost-efficient option.
Further, if you are looking for a high-volume storage solution, then HDD is certainly a better option for you.
But in case you are looking for speediness and good overall performance, then SSD might be considered preferable.
Q3. How good is 5400 RPM for gaming?
A. 5400 RPM is decent enough for optimum gaming performance.
However, if you can invest in a 7200 RPM or 10000 RPM device, you will have amazing overall gaming experience.
In case you already have a 5400 RPM drive in possession, then you can use it to store videos, movies, and other large files.
Then you can upgrade to a 7200 RPM drive, solely for gaming.
All of the factors mentioned above should help you choose the best HDD for gaming needs.
Whether you are getting an HDD, SDD, or a hybrid, going through this process with these guidelines should help you make the right choice.
If you want the perfect balance between space and speed, then a hybrid is your logical choice. If you need lots of space, then you should go for HDD.
An SDD is the right choice for those who are only after speed and don’t really need that much space.
Always do your research before buying anything.
Check for compatibility, cost, price per GB, and other factors to ensure you are getting the best drive for your money.
Check for extras as well so you get a great drive at whatever cost.
If you need a drive for more than just gaming, always consider these needs as well when you’re choosing from the many options you are presented with.
There are lots of options to choose from but it all comes down to what you need, what you want, and how much you are willing to spend.
Make the right choice and you will be happy with your drive, no matter what brand, size, or type it is.