Best Lenses for the Sony a7 III Review
Photography is not a pursuit, followed by a restricted group of people anymore.
With amazing cameras available at affordable prices, anybody can take a plunge into the field of photography.
But the quality of photography depends heavily on the quality of lenses used for this purpose.
And that is why it is extremely important that you pick the right lens for your camera so that you can capture moments exactly like they appear in reality.
But the problem that arises here is an abundance of products on the market.
There are so many different choices at hand that zeroing in on one seems like an impossible job.
Thankfully, we have something valuable here for Sony a7 III users.
It’s a guide that tells you about the Best Lenses for the Sony a7 III.
So, what makes you wait?
Check out these 10 amazing products available on Amazon and choose the best one based on your specific requirements.
Table Of Content
Top 10 Best Lenses for the Sony a7 III
1. Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens- Best for A Range Of Photography Genres
If you are looking for a camera lens that is compact and handy, and yet has the ability to provide superior image quality, then is the product for you.
With its offering of an impressive focal range of upto 315mm, it proves to be ideal for outdoor uses like nature, wildlife, and sports shooting,
Another advantage of having a wide focal range lens is that it enables you to have up-close wildlife shots without actually intimidating animals.
It allows for smooth and fast autofocus with minimal noise, and it is best suited for video shooting.
With built-in Optical SteadyShotTM, this lens offers you steady and sharp output in low light and also while zooming in on faraway objects.
It is also compatible with 49mm filters.
– Lightweight and versatile.
– It’s a value for money product.
– Great zooming capacity
– Autofocus might not be perfect, and the lens is slow.
Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens Features
2. Sony – FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS Standard Zoom Lens (SEL24105G)- Best For All Expertise Levels
Sony - FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS Standard Zoom Lens (SEL24105G) may be considered one of the best lenses for the sony a7 iii as it is suitable for all levels of photography expertise.
This G-series lens offers a wide zooming range of 24 to 105 mm and is suited for both portrait and landscape modes of shooting.
With steady and smooth zooming and quick and accurate autofocus, the lens delivers quality output both in photography as well as video shooting.
The product comes with good build quality.
Its moisture and dust resistant design makes it suitable for heavy-duty outdoor use.
The optical image stabilization feature enables the user to have a steady focus on the object and compensates for unsteady hand movements.
As a result, you get exceptional quality output even during deep zoom-ins.
– It features a weather sealing option.
– Comes with auto and manual focus switch options.
– Good performance even in low light.
– Zoom ring might feel stiff.
Sony – FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS Standard Zoom Lens (SEL24105G) Features
- G-lens design with 4 aspherical and 3 ED glass (extra-low Dispersion) elements, for high corner-to-corner resolving power throughout the entire zoom range
- 35 mm full-frame.Constant F4 maximum aperture maintains exposure and Depth of field throughout the zoom range
- 9-blade circular aperture contributes to beautifuly de-focused bakgrounds
- Minimum focus distance- 0.38 m (1.25 feet)
- In-the-box: Hood (ALC-SH152), Lens front cap (ALC-F77S), Lens rear cap (ALC-R1EM), Case.Angle of View (35 mm):84°-23°.Hood type:Petal shape, bayonet type
3. Sony SEL2470GM E-Mount Camera Lens- Best Product For Improved Zooming
Sony SEL2470GM E-Mount Camera Lens has an impressive build quality, and its weather sealing feature makes it ideal for use even during harsh weather conditions.
It is definitely the best 35mm lens for sony a7 as it is suited for travel, fashion, nature and other genres of photography.
It performs well in both landscape and portrait modes.
With ED and Super ED glass elements, it corrects flare and chromatic aberrations effectively, delivering output that has exceptional optical quality and detail.
It also comes with AF/MF and Focus Hold buttons.
The XA lens element minimizes irregularities, offering an impressive resolution across zoom and aperture ranges.
It features 9 blade circular aperture which enhances the “bokeh effect”.
The Nano AR Coating technology allows for the precise transmission of light.
Meaning, you get high-quality images with improved contrast and clarity.
– Impressive image quality.
– Sturdy design.
– Precise and swift autofocus
– A little heavy as compared to other lenses.
Sony SEL2470GM E-Mount Camera Lens Features
- SONY EMOUNT LENS: 35mm full frame format, instant auto / manual focus selection, focus hold button. The minimum focus distance is 0.38 meters
- NATURAL, LIFELIKE IMAGERY: ED and Super ED glass elements deliver breathtaking texture and detail
- REDUCED ABERRATION: Two aspherical elements and an extremely precise XA element maximize resolution
- 9 BLADE APERTURE: SEL2470GM lenses have a 9 blade circular aperture for a gorgeous book effect
- NANO AR COATING: Allows for accurate light transmission to improve clarity, contrast and quality
4. Sony 35mm F2.8 Sonnar T FE ZA Full Frame Prime Fixed Lens- Best For Bokeh Effect
Sony 35mm F2.8 Sonnar T FE ZA Full Frame Prime Fixed Lens comes in a compact design and features a versatile focal length of 35mm and a maximum aperture of F2.8.
It is considered to be one of the best full frame lenses for sony a7 as it provides exceptional optical performance.
It comes with a minimum Focus Distance of 1.15 ft (0.35 m) and a maximum magnification ratio of 0.12x.
The uniquely designed circular aperture blades ensure smooth and natural defocusing, enhancing the ‘bokeh’ effect.
This lens is also suitable for rugged outdoor use as it comes in a dust and moisture resistant design.
It has got a Carl Zeiss T* (T-Star) coating which helps you take images having an enhanced contrast and an excellent resolution.
– Short minimum focus distance.
– Enables fast autofocus.
– Convenient to use with a polarizing filter.
– Some might find issues with the front lens cap.
Sony 35mm F2.8 Sonnar T FE ZA Full Frame Prime Fixed Lens Features
- Features a bright maximum aperture of F2.8, compact dimensions and outstanding optical performance in a versatile 35mm focal length; Minimum Aperture (F): 22
- Minimum Focus Distance : 1.15 ft (0.35 m), Maximum Magnification ratio : 0.12x
- Carl Zeiss E-mount full-frame lens for Alpha a7 Series full frame camera bodies.Lens groups / elements-5/7
- Dust and moisture resistant design. Filter diameter- 49 mm. Angle of view- 44º (APS-C)63º (35 mm Full Frame). 35 mm equivalent focal length (APS-C)" and "Angle of View (APS-C)" are with interchangeable lens digital camera incorporating APS-C type image sensors
- Lens not Zoomable
5. Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Alpha E-Mount Retractable Zoom Lens- Best For Stable Images
Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Alpha E-Mount Retractable Zoom Lens has been specifically designed for Sony E mount cameras and is not compatible with ‘A’ mount variants.
It features an impressive ‘Power zoom’ mechanism for easy and fast zooming with quiet and excellent operability.
It offers a focal length range of 16-50 mm and a variable aperture size of f/3.5-5.6.
It also offers an image stabilization feature, which facilitates steady video outputs and sharp images at longer shutter speeds.
Owing to its aspherical lens elements and ED glass, chromatic aberrations are significantly reduced.
The product promises excellent portability with its compact design and retractable lens option.
Its amazing video shooting capabilities, particularly in 4K, coupled with quality photography outputs, makes this product an absolute must-have.
– Lightweight and sturdy design
– Ideal for travel photography and video shooting.
– Autofocus is reliable and fast.
– Image quality is soft in the corners.
Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Alpha E-Mount Retractable Zoom Lens Features
- POWER ZOOM for smooth zooming with superb operability and quietness
- ED glass and Aspherical lens elements for excellent performance with reduced aberrations
- Built-in image stabilization
- This lens is designed for Sony ? camera system E-mount cameras. You cannot use it on A-mount cameras
6. Sony SEL50F14Z Planar T FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Lens- Best In Terms Of Build Quality
Sony SEL50F14Z Planar T FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Lens is an extremely well-built product, which explains why it’s heavier as compared to other Sony 50 mm lenses.
With a maximum aperture of F1.4, the lens delivers extraordinary outputs even in low lights.
You notice reduced spherical, chromatic aberration and receive a sharp contrast.
Meaning, you get a great overall photography experience.
If you love pictures with the ‘bokeh’ effect, then this is the lens you need to buy.
It helps you get sharp pictures and good quality videos and is definitely one of the best 50mm for sony a7 model.
This lens is also moisture and dustproof, and hence, suitable for heavy-duty outdoor use.
– It comes with AF/MF mode switch.
– Amazing aperture ring with click on/off button.
– Comes with ZEISS T* coating that delivers sharp contrast and resolution.
– Bulky and a little expensive.
Sony SEL50F14Z Planar T FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Lens Features
- 50mm wide aperture Prime lens with ZEISS Planar design, Center to corner sharpness with outstanding resolution, Bright F14 maximum aperture with excellent low light performance,Lens Groups / Elements:9 / 12
- Sony E-mount.Filter Diameter (mm): 72 mm.ZEISS T coating delivers superior contrast and resolution, 11-blade aperture and aspheric elements for gorgeous bokeh, 11-blade circular aperture for gorgeous bokeh
- 11-blade aperture and aspheric elements for smoothly defocused backgrounds, 12 Elements in 9 Groups with Advanced Aspheric and ED glass, Ring Drive SSM for fast, quiet and precise focusing
- Aperture ring with a selectable click ON/OFF switch, AF/MF switch for direct auto/manual focus control, Dust and moisture resistant for robust reliability. Focal Length- 50 mm. Minimum focus distance- 0.45 m (1.48 ft)
7. Sony Alpha SAL35F18 35mm f/1.8 A-mount Wide Angle Lens (Black)- Best Reasonably Priced Product
Sony Alpha SAL35F18 35mm f/1.8 A-mount Wide Angle Lens is considered to be one of the best Sony alpha mount lenses as it is ideal for shooting in the landscape as well as portrait modes.
With an impressive F1.8 maximum aperture, it allows for amazing pictures, even in low light.
The circular aperture blades incorporated in this lens guarantee an enhanced ‘bokeh’ effect and smooth defocusing.
It comes in a compact and lightweight design, ensuring portability.
The inbuilt distance encoder feature allows for high precision flash metering when the flash mode is on.
The product comes with an inbuilt SAM technology which ensures smoother and quieter operation.
– It comes with front and rear lens caps.
– You get sharpness in picture quality.
– Reasonably priced.
– Comes in a plastic outer body.
Sony Alpha SAL35F18 35mm f/1.8 A-mount Wide Angle Lens (Black) Features
- Lens not Zoomable. Change from autofocus to manual focus at the flick of a switch
- DT 35mm f/1.8 Prime Lens (non-zoom)
- ALC-SH111 Solid-circular lens hood
- Front and rear lens cap
- 35 mm equivalent focal length when used with APS-C sensor camera - 52.5
8. Sony SEL35F14Z Distagon T FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA Standard-Prime Lens- Best In Terms Of Sturdiness
Sony SEL35F14Z Distagon T FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA Standard-Prime Lens are fully compatible with a7 series, 35mm focal length full-frame E-mount cameras.
With a 35mm focal length and F1.4 constant maximum aperture, it proves useful in a wide range of photography situations.
The inbuilt aspherical and “AA” (advanced spherical) lens elements merged with ZEISS T* coating, offer an excellent image resolution and a sharp contrast.
The circular aperture blade design allows for smooth defocusing, which creates the perfect bokeh effect.
It also comes with a responsive aperture ring feature which can help both professional photographers and moviemakers immensely.
The design supports all-weather use, with its moisture and dust protection qualities.
All of this easily makes it one of the best a7 lenses.
– Autofocus is swift and silent.
– Well-built and sturdy.
– Minimal chromatic aberration and deformity.
– The product might be a little heavy for some users.
Sony SEL35F14Z Distagon T FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA Standard-Prime Lens Features
- A perfect match for α7 series, 35mm full-frame E-mount cameras, Outstanding optical performance in a versatile 35mm focal length, ZEISS quality delivers superior contrast and resolution throughout the image
- Filter diameter (mm): 72 mm.Minimum Focus Distance : 098 ft (03 m), Maximum Magnification ratio : 018x, Focal-Length : 138 in
- Bright F14 maximum aperture, Aperture ring designed for still or movie shooting, Corner to corner sharpness w/Advanced Spherical elements;High reliability in harsh conditions
- Dust and moisture resistant design, 9-blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh, Direct Drive SSM (DDSSM) for quiet, precise focusing
9. Sony SEL24240 FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Zoom Lens for Mirrorless Cameras- Best Lens If You Want Easy Handling
If you are looking for cheap lenses for sony a7, then think again.
There are amazing lens features that you can have access to, by simply paying a few more bucks than usual.
The zoom range that you get from Sony SEL24240 FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Zoom Lens is 24 mm to 240 mm.
And this range is sufficient to let you show your photography mettle in a multitude of shooting situations.
Whether you are fond of landscape and portrait photography or snapshots, this lens is just ideal for you if you hate to carry bulky photography luggage to outdoor shooting trips.
Also, if you love capturing moments as and when they happen in front of you, then you need to purchase this product right away as it allows you to switch from a wide-angle mode to a telephoto mode without really swapping lenses.
There is a built-in Optical Steady Shot (OSS) image stabilization feature, which is perfect for low light photography and telephoto shooting.
– Comes with moisture and dust resistant features.
– Great build quality.
– The zoom ring is comfortable to maneuver.
– It’s not a weather-sealed product.
Sony SEL24240 FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Zoom Lens Features
- A perfect match for α7 series, 35mm full-frame E-mount cameras, 10x magnification with a wide 24mm to super tele 240mm, Optical Steady Shot image stabilization for handheld shooting
- Minimum Focus Distance : 1.64 ft-2.63 ft (0.5 m-0.8 m), Maximum Magnification ratio : 0.27x, Focal-Length : 24-240 mm. Filter Diameter - 72 mm.
- Corner to corner sharpness from 5 Spherical elements, ED glass element reduces flare and ghosting, 7-blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh
- Fast focus w/ a linear motor drive and an inner focus mechanism, Dust and moisture resistant design
10. Sony 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T DT Zoom Lens- Best Versatile Lens
Whether you are looking to do telephoto or wide-angle shooting, this product is the best one for your needs.
If you love macro photography, then Sony 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T DT Zoom Lens can help you immensely with its 5x zoom design.
In case you hate to carry a lot of lenses with you when you set out for photography, then this product is something you need to invest in right away as this is a single lens solution for all levels of expertise.
For the kind of precision photographers desire, this product offers you 2 glass-molded aspherical lenses.
Defocused effects are hard to achieve with a sub-par lens; but with this one, you get a circular aperture which provides for the right amount of defocused effect, making your pictures look
The lens has also been designed to ensure easy manual focusing.
– The weight of the lens is not too much looking at the photo range it offers.
– You get high-quality output.
– It has got a compact design.
– The zoom ring is narrow.
Sony 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T DT Zoom Lens Features
- 5x zoom designed specifically for DSLR APS-size CCD
- Superb performance from wide angle to telephoto
- 2 glass-molded aspherical lenses for extra precision
- Circular aperture for pleasing defocused effects.Equivalent 35mm when mounted on an APS format DSLR - 24 - 120mm
- Auto clutch to stop manual focus ring rotation, wide focus ring for a solid feel in manual focusing
Best Lenses for the Sony a7 III Buying Guide
Now, let’s discuss a few tips on how to choose the best lenses for the Sony a7 III
– The first and most important thing to consider is definitely the kind of versatility you get from the lens.
A versatile lens helps you get great pictures and videos in different outdoor and indoor situations.
If you are looking for a versatile lens, then Sony 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T DT Zoom Lens can be a great option for you.
– Another important aspect that you might look at is the ease of handling.
A lens that comes with too many complicated features will only confuse you.
And that is why you need something that is not just useful but also extremely simple to use.
If, however, you have a great deal of expertise in the field of photography, then you can also go for a lens that features a lot of seemingly complicated specifications.
Nonetheless, the Sony SEL24240 FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Zoom Lens is just perfect for you if user-friendliness is one of your top priorities.
– The build quality of the lens is also an important aspect to consider.
After all, you wouldn’t want to see your lens in pieces even with a little shock.
If you want a sturdy product, then choose Sony SEL35F14Z Distagon T FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA Standard-Prime Lens.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What are the best lenses for the Sony a7 III?
A. Numerous different products are available for purchase nowadays.
So, choosing the right one can be a little tricky.
But when you figure out your specific requirements, selecting a good lens becomes a breeze.
To be honest, there is no perfect lens as such, it all depends on what your expectations from a lens are.
Q2. Is it good to buy an expensive lens?
A. Don’t just pick an item randomly on the basis of its high price.
A high price might not always be a direct indicator of high quality.
Still, high priced products are either good quality or are packed with features.
So, even if you decide on buying an expensive lens, it would be valuable for you to make sure you are getting exactly what you desire.
Q3. Which three basic lenses do I need to buy?
A. The three basic lenses you need for most photography genres are a macro lens, an ultra-wide lens and a 50 mm lens.
How many times has it so happened that you bought yourself a camera lens, and found it to be a complete pain in the neck?
Well, such things happen when you are not extra cautious while shopping for a lens.
If you are looking for a great lens for your Sony a7 III, then the above options can be a great place to start at.
Check them out, see if they meet your requirements, choose the perfect one and just loosen your purse strings for one of the Best Lenses for the Sony a7 III.